In close to two decades of leadership development I’ve seen teams that are truly connected and succeeding spectacularly! And I’ve seen teams that, however subtly, hurt, fight and mistrust each other, and the corresponding impact on their ability to perform. You can move from disconnected to connected, from mistrust to trust, from good to the team experience of a lifetime. The question is…. Are you willing to do the work? Because make no mistake, the work will be personal. It might be the hardest work you ever do and, it will very likely also be the most rewarding.
Introducing “Together,” a highly-tailored, expert-facilitated team development experience, co-authored with my colleague and dear friend Stacey Sargent , that takes a group of senior-level leaders and turns them into a team, in which the whole can indeed be greater than the sum of its parts.
TOGETHER. Executive Team Development: A two-day experience for senior leadership teams.
It’s lonely at the top. A cliché with a ring of truth.
At the top is where we should experience some of the richest forms of connection, camaraderie, and collective success. Senior leadership is where we hope to feel on fire, contributing in unprecedented ways and having the time of our lives doing it. Yet, how many executives actually experience this? All too often leadership occurs in silos. As a result, it can be daunting, lonely, frustrating, unsuccessful, and costly.
We all long to be a part of a great team, to journey together and accomplish what not one of us can do alone.
You can create the executive team of a lifetime, but it requires intention and investment, as all great relationships do. The best executive teams foster a First Team, a culture in which members identify and act as one, easily turning towards each other for support, decisions, and assistance. These teams are successful because they take care to foster relationships, candor, trust, and a sense of belonging; belonging that takes a group of professionals and turns them into a team: people who know and care about each other, who are committed to each other, and who are passionate about achieving something spectacular together.
1. A team who knows each other more as people, having shared stories and experiences that create insight, perspective, greater respect, and deeper trust, all essential for creativity and innovation.
2. A team who focuses on the overall business first, with each member able to step back from their functional area and think strategically about what’s best for the business.
3. Members who feel they can be honest about their strengths, challenges, and are able to ask for help.
4. A team who works like a think tank, knowing that more perspectives bring better results.
5. A team with agreed upon norms and behaviors that allow the First Team to live out the company’s vision, mission and values.
6. A team who understands its unique responsibility to the success of the company and its people. Meetings move from status reports to strategic discussions and debates, all focused on the triple-bottom line of the business (people, planet, profits).
7. A team with the communication skills to speak honestly, debate, and offer important feedback that builds, not breaks, trust.
8. A team with two-three specific actions and measures to successfully implement their Together culture.
Results in individual leadership and team capacity:
· Increased strategic focus.
· Greater creative and innovative actions.
· Stronger relationships with greater respect, trust, and comradery.
· Efficient and effective conversations that advance understanding and agreement.
· Greater alignment and a unified front to most effectively serve the organization and the larger community of which it is a part.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-604-864-5408 to learn more.
Susanne Biro is confidant and coach to C-suite and executive level leaders, a Forbes and CEO Magazine contributor, and a TEDx speaker. She is also an author, designer, senior facilitator and vegan advocate. Susanne has a private coaching practice and is also a co-founder of Syntrina Leadership, an executive coaching and senior leadership team development firm.
For close to two decades, Susanne has worked internationally with senior-level leaders in some of the world’s best companies. Whether coaching one-on-one or authoring, designing, and delivering leadership programs, her passion is the same: to help leaders reach their next level of personal, professional, and leadership mastery.
Susanne can be reached at 604.864.5408 or via email at email@example.com